You might have a book or a project with hundreds of pages that you are currently scanning on your system. But does it sound feasible to have an individual scanned file for each page? Well, it does sound cluttered and will only take up all the space on your system. Here, you simply need something that will help you to scan multiple pages into one pdf on mac.
You can scan multiple pages into one pdf on mac using the in-built preview app. The first thing you need to do is simply scan all your documents first and save them all in a single file. Now, select the first page and open it in the Preview app. You can now go to the edit menu on the top and choose Insert. From here, select Page From File. Now, you can select all the other scanned pages and click on open.
This is what you need to do in order to add all the scan documents and create a single PDF. However, if you have hundreds of pages, it will only take time. Hence, you can also try out other third-party apps for the same purpose. Here is everything you can try.
How To Scan Multiple Pages Into One Pdf On Mac using Preview
The first step we will try is by using Apple’s built-in preview app, which is much easier to work on than any other apps or functions. Here is what you can do.
1. Inserting the Pages
The first method you can use within the preview app is by inserting the pages into another page and creating a single PDF file. Here are the steps.
- Scan all the pages on your system using a scanner.
- Make sure to sort them out into a single folder to keep them all together.
- Now, open one of the pages in the preview app by making a right click.
- Go to the menu options on the top and choose Edit.
- Select Insert from the list and click on Page from File.
- Now, simply select all the other pages you scanned on the system.
- Click on Open to add them all.
Once done, you will have a single PDF file for all the pages you scanned to make it easier to share with others or use for your own need.
2. Importing from Scanner/Printer
Another method you can try on the preview app itself is where can directly import the scanned pages from the printer or scanner to this app and merge them all into a single pdf file. Let us look at the steps.
- Connect your scanner to your Mac and make sure it is turned on.
- Click on the Launchpad icon from the dock and search for the preview application.
- After you’ve launched the Preview app, head to the menu bar and click on File.
- Now, click on Import by following the name of your printer or scanner.
- If you don’t see any options on your screen, click the Show details button.
- Select PDF as your file time under the Format option on the right side.
- Check the box next to the Combine into single document option.
- Now, click on the preview of the scan on the left side and use the Command-A shortcut. Doing this will select the entirety of your scan.
- Tap on Scan and wait until the process is finished.
- Now, repeat this as many times as you want. Insert the next page into the scanner and click on Scan inside Preview.
- Now, click on File on the Menu bar and save the file anywhere you want on your Mac.
You can do it for as many files as you want and directly keep scanning files into a single PDF. This is easier for those who have a scanner directly connected to their system.
How To Scan Multiple Pages Into one Pdf on Mac using Image Capture
You can also use another incredible in-built app on Mac, Image Capture, that will help you scan multiple pages directly into one PDF. The process is pretty simple, and you will need a scanner attached to your system for these steps. Here we go.
- Firstly make sure your printer or the scanner is added to your system
- Now, open Image Capture on the screen
- Select your Printer or Scanner under the Devices section on the left menu option.
- Choose the location to save the PDF file after scanning.
- Under the Format sub-section, you can change the scan format; you need to select PDF here, as it is set to JPEG by default.
- Now, click on the Scan button and wait until the process gets completed; it might take a little time so just be patient.
- Check the “Combine into single document” box.
- Once the scan is completed, it will automatically be saved into the chosen location with the name you entered.
- If you want to view a list of the recently scanned documents, you can use the Scan Result box.
Once done, all your pages will be scanned into a single PDF file that you can preview as well before saving on the system.
How To Scan Multiple Pages Into one Pdf on Mac using Third-party Tools
You can also try certain third-party apps or tools that might do the same job. For example, we have Adobe, Wondershare, etc. In fact, the scanners you are using currently also has such individual apps that can help you with this. Here are a few apps you can try.
1. Adobe Acrobat
The first tool we have is Adobe Acrobat. Now, these tools are mostly used by professionals or companies to work on multiple features offered by it. Furthermore, Adobe Acrobat is a paid tool; you can invest your money into this for many more features.
- Make sure your Scanner is connected to your Mac and ready to scan pages.
- Launch the Adobe Acrobat Reader on your system
- Click on Tools and go to Create PDF option
- From here, choose Scanner and select your scanner from the drop-down list.
- Click on Next to continue.
You can keep following the necessary steps on the screen to keep scanning more pages and ultimately create a single PDF on all the scans.
You can download the PDF element software from the official site to get started. This is a paid software that you can use to scan multiple pages into one pdf on mac.
- Connect the scanner to your system and get the pages ready.
- Open PDF Element and click on File on the top menu bar.
- Go to New and select PDF from Scanner.
- Here, select your scanner from the list.
- Make the necessary settings on the right menu option and choose the page you want to scan.
- Click on Scan to continue.
- After scanning one page, you can click on Scan more pages on the pop-up window.
- Keep repeating this unless all the pages are scanned into a single file.
After this, you can make any changes to the orientation, structure, alignment, etc., to the PDF file before sharing it or using it for multiple purposes.
Now you know how to use Preview and Image Capture to scan multiple pages on your Mac into a PDF file. You can also use third-party software like Adobe, but Preview and Image Capture are more than capable enough to complete this task.
We recommend using Preview to combine multiple scans into a PDF file, as it is the easiest to use of the two mentioned methods. Also, ensure your printer or scanner is connected and set up properly with your Mac before trying these methods.
You may like the following mac tutorials:
- How To Turn Off Time Machine On Mac
- How to Search a Document on Mac
- Add Frequently Visited Webpages on Mac
- How to Transfer Photos From One Mac to Another
- How to Block Someone on iMessage on Mac
Robert is a tech expert (with more than 10 years of experience in using mac os and iPhone) who loves to help others learn about the Mac operating system and iPhone. He provides helpful tutorials on how to use Mac OS, tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Mac operating system, iPhone tips and tricks, and more. He’s always up for a challenge and enjoys learning new things about his favorite OS. When he’s not helping people get the most out of their technology, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two cats. Check out more.