To make a PDF file fillable on Mac you do not need any third-party application. Preview is sufficient for this task inbuilt document viewer and editor application. It also offers various features, like creating digital signatures using the trackpad of your Mac.
To make a PDF File Fillable, start by opening the file in Preview app on your Mac. Now, select the area you want to make fillable. Go to Show Markup Tool, and select the Text button displayed. Drag the area where you want to fill content. Once done, simply press enter or click the mouse button anywhere on the screen.
Since not everyone knows the ways, you can fill out a PDF form on Mac using the pre-installed tool. Consider this a one-stop guide for all related issues. Similar to filling out a form, you might also need to sign in to submit it anywhere digitally you wish to; you can do the same from the pre-installed app on the Mac.
How to Make a PDF File Fillable on Mac?
You do not need any other application to enter text or numbers into a PDF file. All you require is Preview which comes pre-installed on all Macs.
- Power on your Mac and sign into it.
- Open a Finder window.
- Now search for the PDF file that you want to fill out.
- Double-click on it to open the file.
- Close the file if the PDF launches in a different application like Adobe.
- Select the PDF file and right-click on it to show more options.
- Click on Open with and select Preview from the list.
- Once the PDF file has opened inside Preview, select the area you want to fill out in the form.
- Be aware that not all PDF files can be filled out.
- If you cannot fill out a specific field on the form, click on the Show markup toolbar button on top of the Preview window. It will be a circular marker-shaped icon beside the search box.
- Click on the Text button from the toolbar and drag the selection area to where you want to enter the text. You can also use the corner points to resize the selection area easily.
- You will need to adjust the text’s font, size, and color to match the form.
How to Make a PDF File Fillable on Mac using Adobe?
Another tool you can use to make a PDF fillable is adding a form using Adobe. You can start by creating a PDF using any word document on your Mac. Now, you can either download Abode Acrobat software or simply use the online version. Here are the steps.
- Open Adobe and go to the Tools tab
- Now, select Prepare Form.
- Upload your Document to add the form
- Now, you can add the Form field wherever needed.
- You can now save and download the PDF file.
How to Add a Digital Signature to a Fillable PDF on Mac?
Yes, Mac has a nifty sign feature that allows you to create a digital signature for your PDF files. You can fine-tune adjustments to sign more naturally if you have a Mac with a force touchpad.
This works as when you press down with pressure, the lines you create will be darker, and when the pressure has reduced, the intensity of the line follows with it too. You also have the option to sign on a paper and then scan it using Mac’s webcam.
This is how it is done.
- Open the file in Preview.
- Click on the Show markup toolbar button at the Preview window. It will be a circular marker-shaped icon beside the search box.
- Choose the icon that depicts a signature from the markup toolbar.
- You can choose if you want to use the trackpad or the webcam to sign the document digitally.
- If you have a Mac that has a Force Touch Trackpad, you can press down on the trackpad to form thicker lines and release it to make thinner ones.
- If you want to use the webcam, sign on a clean piece of paper and hold it close to the webcam. There will be a blue line guiding how to place the paper in front of the webcam; once satisfied, click on Done.
- Suppose you have multiple signatures on your Mac; it can get confusing to distinguish between them just by looking at them. You can use VoiceOver to add a description to a signature when you create one.
- After creating your signature, click on Description and select Custom from the list, and craft a unique description for the given signature.
How To Remove a Signature From a Fillable PDF on Mac?
If you’re not happy with the digital signature you created. Don’t worry; you can easily delete it and then create a new one. Here’s how it is done.
- Power on and sign in to your Mac.
- Open a Finder window.
- Now, look for the PDF file you want to remove your digital signature.
- Double-click to open it.
- Once the file has been opened in the Preview app, click on the Show markup toolbar button at the Preview window. It will be a circular marker-shaped icon beside the search box.
- From the toolbar, click on the icon that depicts a signature.
- Now hover the cursor over the signature on the document and click the “X” button.
That’s it for this article, folks; as you saw, there are several ways you can make a PDF file fillable on Mac and digitally sign documents. Furthermore, you can choose between using Preview, third-party software, or online websites.
We recommend that you use Preview only, as it is the best option to go for. It offers all the necessary tools which you might require for editing documents.
You may like the following mac tutorials:
- How to Save a Voice Memo on Mac
- How to Convert PowerPoint to Word on Mac?
- Turn Off iCloud Photos on Mac
- How to Zoom in on Mac With Mouse
- How to Sign Out of App Store on Mac
Robert is a tech expert (with more than 10 years of experience in using mac os and iPhone) who loves to help others learn about the Mac operating system and iPhone. He provides helpful tutorials on how to use Mac OS, tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Mac operating system, iPhone tips and tricks, and more. He’s always up for a challenge and enjoys learning new things about his favorite OS. When he’s not helping people get the most out of their technology, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two cats. Check out more.