Deleting shortcuts is not really a tough job on your Mac, as you would guess. However, you can also manage shortcuts using the Shortcuts app on your Mac which comes preinstalled if you have updated your Mac to macOS Monterey 12.1.
In order to delete desktop shortcuts on Mac, you simply need to drag and drop them to the Trash bin. Moreover, you can even select multiple shortcuts at once and make a right-click. From here, simply click Move to Trash, and all the shortcuts will be deleted from the desktop.
A shortcut provides you with a quick option to access applications or folders right from your desktop. The Shortcut app allows you to create custom shortcuts and use readymade shortcuts. This article details how you can delete shortcuts on your Mac using various ways.
How to Delete Desktop Shortcuts on Mac?
The first method is the simplest one, which involves dragging the shortcut to the trash bin on your dock. Read the steps provided below to know more.
- Sign in to your Mac and look for the shortcut you want to delete.
- Select the shortcut and then drag it over to the trash bin to delete it.
- Subsequently, you can also right-click on the shortcut and select Move to Trash from the list.
- Now, head over to the bin on your dock.
- Open it and click on Empty to permanently delete those shortcuts.
- Moreover, if you want to delete multiple shortcuts, hold down the Command button and select the shortcuts that you want to delete.
- Release the Command button when you’ve selected all the shortcuts you want to, and then drag it over to the trash bin or right-click on it and choose Move to bin from the list.
Deleting a Shortcut Using the Shortcuts App on Mac
You can undo a shortcut using the Shortcuts app on your Mac with ease. Read the steps provided below to know more.
- Power on your Mac and sign in to it.
- Open a Finder window. You can find the Finder application on your dock by default.
- Head over to the Applications tab from the menu on the left side.
- Scroll down till you find the Shortcuts app and double-click to open it.
- Another quick way to open the Shortcuts app is to use Spotlight, as mentioned above. Use the Command-Space shortcut to launch Spotlight, type in “shortcuts” without the quotation marks and hit the return key to open the app.
- Now, head over to the Gallery tab from the side menu; this section will have all the shortcuts that you use on your Mac.
- Look for the shortcut that you want to delete and click on it to enter the editor.
- You have two ways to delete shortcuts from here. You can either use two fingers on the trackpad to show the context menu and select the Delete option from there or press the Command-Delete shortcut, which will delete the shortcut from your iCloud account entirely.
How to Create Shortcuts on Mac?
Getting started with shortcuts is very easy, thanks to the latest macOS Monterey 12.1 update. Read the steps provided below to know more.
- You have the option to create custom as well as use prebuilt options.
- Power on your Mac and sign in to it.
- Now open the Shortcuts app from a Finder window. You can find the Finder application right on the dock.
- Subsequently, you can also use the Command-Space shortcut to launch Spotlight and do the same.
- Once you open the Finder window, head to the Applications tab and scroll down until you find the Shortcuts app. Double click on it to launch it.
- Moreover, you can also use the Spotlight search bar to launch the application just the same.
- Once you’ve opened the Shortcuts app, head over to the Gallery tab from the menu on the left side.
- You will see a wide range of shortcuts arranged in several sub-sections.
- Choose any shortcut you want from the list and click on Add shortcut.
- Now, all you have to do is follow the simple on-screen instructions and repeat the process for any other shortcuts you want.
- To create your own custom shortcuts, click on the All shortcuts tab from the left-side menu and select the “+” icon from the top-right corner of the screen.
- You will be shown various categories to choose from like favorites, sharing, documents, web, scripting, suggestions, location and media.
- Select any category you want and follow the on-screen instructions to add the shortcut.
Yes, with the latest macOS Monterey 12.1 update, you can also share your shortcuts with different people. Read the instructions provided below to know more.
- Sign in to your Mac and head over to the Shortcuts application using the Spotlight search or open a Finder window, click on the Applications tab and open the Shortcuts app from the list.
- Click on All Shortcuts from the menu on the left side.
- Choose the shortcut you want to share, use the two-finger gesture on your trackpad to show the context menu, and hover the cursor over the Share option.
- You can share the shortcuts using AirDrop, Messages, Notes, Reminders, and Mail, and you can even copy the iCloud link for it.
The Shortcut app on macOS is a powerful tool that allows you to combine a lot of things for various automation options. You can also quickly delete them if you want to remove them from the list. Also, all the shortcuts you create on the app can be used on your iWatch.
You may like the following mac tutorials:
- How to Turn Off Screen Saver on Mac
- How to Find DPI of Image on Mac
- Why Do My AirPods Keep Disconnecting From My Mac
- How to Turn Off Mail Notifications on Mac
- How to Turn Off Sound Notifications on Mac
Robert is a tech expert (with more than 10 years of experience in using mac os and iPhone) who loves to help others learn about the Mac operating system and iPhone. He provides helpful tutorials on how to use Mac OS, tips and tricks for getting the most out of your Mac operating system, iPhone tips and tricks, and more. He’s always up for a challenge and enjoys learning new things about his favorite OS. When he’s not helping people get the most out of their technology, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two cats. Check out more.